background

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Camo Cake

So I was given the challenge to make a camouflage cake for a cousin whose son was turning 2.  I took a cake decorating class this summer with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law and we had a lot of fun.  We didn't learn about fondant though so I've been exploring that on my own.  I found a recipe for marshmallow fondant and let me tell you, its amazing.  So many people like the look of fondant, but not the taste.  Well, problem solved folks!  Its soooo simple.  I used this recipe found here on a blog called The Chaplain's Wife.  Of course I found it through Pinterest.  It is important to knead, knead, and knead some more.  And when I made letters and figures I mixed 50% gum paste in with 50% fondant and I found it much easier to handle.  I also finally got my hands on some of the powdered food coloring and it makes such a difference when making red, black, and brown.
 I made the deer on top by finding an image of a deer silhouette and printing it on card stock, then I cut it out and laid it over some brown fondant and cut it out.  The trees I just did free hand.  I did the letters by just rolling the fondant and then cutting it with a knife and shaping it into the letter.  I found that adding a little (very very little) water helped seal some of the letters together.  My favorite part was the little mallard ducks.  I used to play with that polymer clay in middle school or something and it was very similar.  I wish I had some better pictures for a real how-to, but maybe next time.  To make the camo icing for the bottom rectangular layer I mixed up my colors then piped some blob shapes in until most of the cake was covered, then took the spatula to smooth it all together.  Then I waited a little while before I did the Viva paper towel trick as seen here on Cake Central. I don't usually do the hot-spatula step.  I think the key to camo cake success is in the colors you choose.  I saw a lot of other ones online that had weird yellows and tans.  A couple of shades of green and brown should do it.  Lastly, I'd like to share one of the most wonderful cake decorating tips I've ever come across....Syran Wrap Icing Trick from Karen's Cookies.  It will save you so much time! Happy decorating!



1 comment: